Black Bean Veggie Burger with Matcha Aioli
Deemed one of the best veggie burger recipes, this twist on a staple summertime food is sure to be quite the hit at your next BBQ!
Nutritional Information (approximately)
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 7 burgers, 1 cup aioli
Serving Size: 1 burger, 2 tablespoons aioli
Calories per serving: 594
Fat per serving: 32 g
Saturated fat per serving: 5 g
Carbs per serving: 60 g
Protein per serving: 23 g
Fiber per serving: 14 g
Sugar per serving: 5 g
Sodium per serving: 816 mg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ medium green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, divided
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flake
- 10 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled (or to taste)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For Serving
- buns, lettuce and tomatoes if desired
- Make burgers: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Swirl pan to coat. Add carrot, onion, garlic, bell pepper and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Drain 1 can black beans and transfer to a food processor. Add pecans and the vegetable mixture. Pulse until the mixture becomes a coarse paste. Drain the remaining can of beans and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the pureed bean mixture and stir to combine. Add the eggs, breadcrumbs and red pepper flake and stir to combine. Mound ½ cup-fulls onto the prepared baking sheet (a ½ cup dry measure works well.) press lightly to flatten leaving space between burgers. Bake until completely dry and a little crisp, about 45 minutes.
- Make aioli: Puree basil, garlic, yolks, lemon juice, matcha and Dijon in a food processor or blender. Gradually drizzle in ½ cup olive oil while motor is running until the mixture is thick, smooth and the oil is completely integrated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the burgers with the aioli on buns with tomatoes and lettuce if desired.
Recipe and images from https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/black-bean-burgers-with-green-tea-basil-aioli/