It is now the end of January. Like many people, the 'winter blah's' may leave you feeling fatigued, stressed out, depressed and hormonal. If you or a loved one are experiencing these symptoms, allow me to introduce you to MACA ROOT.
MACA ROOT is a plant from the broccoli family, which resembles a radish or a small turnip. It comes in several colors but the most common is yellow and is native to the country of Peru.
The people of Peru traditionally have used this mighty root as an aphrodisiac, but have come to use MACA for a variety of ailments and prevention of certain diseases. Scientific evidence suggests MACA is a powerful superfood that has many superior, life enhancing qualities; including but not limited to:
- enhances libido and fertility in both men and women
- balances hormonal irregularities
- fungistatic and bacteriostatic
- increases energy and stamina without the caffeine buzz
- appears to suppress prostrate hypertrophy similar to the synthetic drug finasteride used to decrease and treat enlarged prostrate.
- reduces anxiety and stress
- taken both internally and used externally, it's shown to improve skin texture and provide a more youthful appearance.
- supports healthy bones and teeth
- improves cognitive function and protects the brain from damage.
There are many creative ways of introducing MACA ROOT into your diet. As a powder, it has a unique nutty flavor with a hit of butterscotch. It is advised that you start adding 1 tsp (as a start and gradually add more if you wish) to your favorite smoothies, cookie, cake and muffin mixes. My husband put it in his very delicious Venison Meatloaf quite by accident, but it tasted wonderful and had all the added benifits. The possibilities are endless! Add some MACA ROOT to your diet today!
His and Her Smoothie
2 tsp Maca Root powder
A handful fresh or frozen berries
1 ripe avocado
1/2 ripe banana
Handful fresh spinach
1- 2 cups filtered water
real maple syrup to taste - optional
Blend and enjoy